LIV on Studio 5: How to Select the Perfect Rug for Your Space
We've has quite the week this week with 3 days of filming in a row. We're starting to feel a bit like TV stars ;) If you want to see our segment on Studio 5 about finding the perfect rug for your space click here.
Are you in the market for a new rug? Here are a few tips, tricks, and some general guidelines to help get the perfect rug for your space.
How do I pick the correct sized area rug for my room?
1. First, measure the size of the area you want to cover.
2. In the family room, select a size that covers at least the length and width of your furniture. A 5? x 8? or 6? x 9? rug is a good size to cluster furniture around for an intimate area. To expand the space, select a larger size that outlines the perimeter of the area.
3. To determine the maximum-size rug that will fit in a room, subtract 24-36 inches from the room's width and length. This creates a frame of flooring between the rug and the walls.
4. In a dining room, make sure the rug is a minimum of 2 feet larger than the table going all the way around and that all chairs, when tucked in, are on the rug.
5. If there's a rug you absolutely love but it's too small for your room, layer it over a larger, natural fiber rug to make up the difference.
LIV Tip: To determine the size of area rug, lay out the room with towels or measure out the space using blue painters tape.
What style of rug is best for my space?
1. Consider your lifestyle. Are you placing your rug in a high-traffic area, such as a hallway or family room? Do you have young children or pets?
2. Consider your personal style. Choose something that complements the style of your room such as traditional, casual or formal.
3. Wool is usually a preferred choice in high traffic areas as it is naturally stain resistant and the fibers hold their shape better.
4. Cotton rugs are affordable but stain and wear out quickly.
5. Hand knotted or hand tufted rugs are the most expensive and will last for generations.
LIV Tip: Purchase synthetic rugs if you like to change your décor often. They are less expensive and come in a wide variety of options.
How do I select a pattern to complement my décor?
1. Take inventory of the color scheme in your room.
2. Select a rug that complements two or three main colors in the room.
3. Establish the mood you want to create. Do you want your room to feel rich and cozy or spacious and bright?
4. If your primary furniture is a solid color, go with a patterned rug. If your furniture is patterned or elaborate, choose a solid color.
5. Afraid of pattern? Add a textured rug instead.
LIV Tip: If the pattern or colors of your antique rug are too loud, flip it over, as the beautiful patterns are still there but are more faded and subdued.